Grodan Grotop Expert®
A single-season Grotop Expert slab is the answer for the grower looking to combine rapid rooting and initial growth with vegetative crop development. The special fibrous structure promotes root penetration throughout the entire slab, resulting in a more uniform root distribution. In addition, roots are always of excellent quality and colour – the foundation for a thriving plant that is well equipped for disease resistance.
- Rapid Leaf Area Development – The vertical fibre structure encourages rapid root penetration and strong vegetative growth right from the start of cultivation. Thanks to the higher number of roots in the slab and there more homogenous distribution, the plants are able to absorb water and nutrients with greater ease. The result is a plant that builds leaf area more quickly.
- Synchronise Plant and Climate Management – Thanks to Grotop Expert, growers can steer plant development based on low WC with a high but stable EC. This excellent irrigation efficiency results in a lower 24 hour drain percentage as well as a lower nutrient input. In combination with a climate strategy that supports a low energy input, this offers the additional benefit of a customised irrigation strategy. This makes it easy to steer plant development in line with various climate management strategies that are designed to reduce the energy input and maintain a stable substrate EC during changeable weather conditions.
- Maximise Production and Quality – Thanks to its outstanding re-saturation properties and uniformity, the WC and EC levels in the Grotop Expert can be adjusted to different values depending on the outdoor conditions. Reaching higher levels again is simple. The root zone environment can be used to steer and balance the crop in line with energy management strategies – thereby maximising production and quality.
- Controlled Growth During Cultivation – Grotop Expert offers a wide WC control range that allows the water content to be steered between 50% and 80%. This wide control range gives growers complete control to steer crop growth in the required direction during every phase of cultivation. A generative crop response can still be achieved at a low water content level – without losing any of the power of vegetative growth.
- Sustainable Water and Nutrient Use – Grodan next generation fibres do not bind water or nutrients and do not require flushing at the start of the cultivation cycle. A targeted application of water and nutrients from the start of the cultivation cycle enables sustainable water and fertiliser use. In combination with other management strategies, this also facilitates improved crop steering and better initial setting and fruit development – resulting in resilient plants that give high production.
Grotop Expert is based on the next generation technology. With its unique hydrophilic fibres and vertical fibre structure – resulting in a high re-saturation capacity – the slab is perfectly suited for precision growing. Grotop Expert represents the ultimate solution for growers seeking a substrate with a wide control range, a rapid start to cultivation and an exceptional vigour throughout the entire cultivation period.
- Single-season slab
- Vertical fibre structure
- Inert hydrophilic fibre (NGS) technology
- High re-saturation capacity of 67% (one day from 50%)
- Uniform water distribution throughout the slab (incl. graph)
Grotop Expert is the ideal substrate for growing tomatoes, sweet peppers and cucumbers. Applied to tomatoes and sweet peppers, Grotop Expert leads to uniform crop development, strong initial growth and efficient use of water and fertilisers. With cucumbers, it also boosts an excellent transition from stem to lateral cucumbers. Combined with the Grodan Plantop Delta block or the Grodan Pro block, it forms the best block and slab combination to maximise your potential.
Wim Gubbels from the Gubbels van Rooy plant nursery in the Netherlands said the following in an interview:
“The most striking thing about the Grotop Expert is the good re-saturation of the slab. I consider it better than the standard slab. If the slab has been a little on the dry side for a while, it is relatively easy to raise the WC to the desired level. I also notice that the Grotop Expert stimulates vegetative growth. Particularly in our large, high-roofed new greenhouse, where we grow sweet peppers, you generally see generative growth.
However, with the Grotop Expert, you can steer effectively towards vegetative growth. The moisture distribution through the slab is excellent. You see this particularly in the uppermost centimetre of the slab, which is well saturated. This also means that the roots are well distributed through the slab. We are very happy with the Grotop Expert.”