Grodan Grotop Master®
Growers who use professional water management to steer plants to vegetative or generative growth need look no further than the single-season Grotop Master slab. The grower gets maximum yield from the crop all year round by adjusting the water content to the requirements of the season.
- Optimal Control – Using a targeted irrigation strategy to manage substrate WC with a stable and controlled EC optimises the input of labour and energy. In addition, steering with a low WC provides a much-needed generative stimulus when climate management strategies focus on minimising the energy input. Steering with a higher WC in line with high outside radiation offers the advantage of optimal vegetative development – leading to a maximum yield of high quality fruits.
- Maximises Climate Management – Grotop Master distributes irrigation water efficiently to re-saturate the slabs, and refresh and stabilise the EC – all with minimal direct drainage. This excellent irrigation efficiency makes it easy to synchronise various climate management strategies aimed at lowering energy input and maximising the effect on steering plant development. The specific features of Grotop Master also maintain a stable substrate EC during changeable weather conditions.
- Outstanding Crop Uniformity – Grotop Master distributes irrigation water uniformly throughout the slab. A homogenous root zone environment means that all the plants receive the same generative or vegetative stimulus in accordance with climate management strategies. The result is a uniform, perfectly balanced crop that provides a higher production, a better quality and the use of less energy.
- Robust and Vigorous Plants – Thanks to the uniform slab structure, the roots grow more evenly throughout the entire slab – new, healthy roots develop easily during the complete cultivation cycle. A strong, well-developed root system secures a maximum uptake of water and nutrients and produces a resilient and vigorous crop – even at times of high radiation.
- Sustainable Water and Nutrient Use – Grodan next generation fibres do not bind nutrients and do not require flushing at the start of the cultivation cycle. Drainage water can be reused from the start of the cultivation. A targeted application of water and nutrients from the start of the cultivation cycle enables a sustainable water and fertiliser use. In combination with other management strategies, this also facilitates improved crop steering and a better initial setting and fruit development.
Grotop Master has a unique, dual-density structure, which promotes outstanding root distribution throughout the slab to secure an optimal uptake of water and nutrients during the cultivation cycle. The crop will exhibit vigorous growth – even in periods of high radiation – and maintain high production levels with excellent fruit quality. The next generation substrate technology also makes the slab ideally suited to precision growing – allowing you to achieve maximum synergy between the root zone and climate management strategies that are designed to steer crop development.
- Single-season slab
- Unique dual density structure
- Inert hydrophilic fibre (NGS) technology
- High re-saturation capacity of 72% (saturates from 50% to 72% in a single day)
- Uniform water distribution throughout the slab
Grotop Master is the ideal slab for growers who want to use a combination of root zone management and climate management as a tool to achieve maximum generative or vegetative steering of the chosen variety to produce high yielding, profitable crops. Grotop Master is the most widely used substrate for tomatoes worldwide. In combination with the Plantop Delta block, Grotop Master offers growers maximum plant balance.
Harry Augustijn from Augustijn Plant Nursery in the Netherlands said the following in an interview:
“The sturdy 25-millimetre top layer means that the plants root well. The roots spread widthways first – and only then do they also spread downwards. Additionally, the more porous structure means that the EC in the slab can be easily controlled. The water content is also very easy to control. The desired moisture levels can be very simply restored. The capillary action is efficient and the steerability is fantastic.”
Augustijn also sees clear improvements compared with previous years:
“The uniformity of the Grotop Master is very good throughout the greenhouse. In previous years, you would occasionally find a less good spot amongst the rest, but that is no longer the case. What I actually consider even more important as a grower is that I can achieve 2 kilograms more in production per square metre on these Grodan slabs. This slab may be a little more expensive, but it delivers on its promises.”